Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I have a confession

They say the first step to recovery is admitting the problem, this isn't easy for me, and I didn't realize how bad it was until yesterday when I couldn't get my daily fix, I swear it just started out as a fun thing to do once in awhile, I never realized that first time would get me to where I was yesterday feelings anxiety and withdrawal from this.

I don't know if I can even say it out loud, no it is too hard, if I admit it does that mean I have to give it up, does that mean no more???

I'M ADDICTED TO MY CELL PHONE!!!

I said it, FREEDOM!!!!

I left my cell phone home yesterday, and Oh MY GAWD the withdrawal I felt for that little black and silver phone was horrible, I kept reaching for it, just to send out one little text, I need my texting I crave my texting, so I average about 2000 texts a month, is that bad? It all started when I got my 2nd job hostessing, I would stand up front for long periods of times with nothing to do, no one coming in to greet or sit, so I started to text message, well 8 months later, it is a full on addiction.

As I would reach for my phone last night I would get this feeling of dread and dispair all I wanted to do was check the time, to send out a text, to see if someone called, but it wasn't there, oh how I missed my cell phone. I even asked Terrence who has the same phone if I just could hold his for just a moment, that was when I realized I had a problem, starting to beg for a fix for a text, not a good sign I tell you.

When I got home it was sitting right where I left it, and oh how happy I was to see it, I checked and I had 4 missed calls and 7 missed texts (see I am loved). So now that I have admitted the problem, does this mean that I have to cut back on using my phone or can I just go back to being in denial? See how can you not love this phone, isn't it pretty?

8 Comments:

Cairde said...

Oh Wow, you do have a problem. I can't say I miss my phone if I forget it. It never rings and if it does, I rarely answer it. I am an email addict....I wonder which is worse....

Anonymous said...

This one makes me smile. Its kinda funny, we rely on things and then when we don't have them we freak. Remember being a kid and all we had was the house phone, no call waiting. We remembered EVERYONE'S phone number and now I'm not sure I even know mine.

Anonymous said...

Like falling trees, if your cellphone rings, but you don't have it to answer, is someone calling you? Ha Ha!

Jim

Lisa said...

I didn't love my phone like that until I got a new one. And now I'm always taking photos and texting. It especially comes in handy when you are going out with the girls and you're trying to coordinate who's going to be able to meet up when and where. So I can completely understand your addiction.

Anonymous said...

I don't know any phone numbers any more. We so relay on our little hand held devices...
- Gosia

Anonymous said...

I tend to panic if I forget my phone. Especially if I'm out without the kids. I'm afraid of Murphy's Law and that something bad will happen if I don't have my phone.

Peg said...

Yesterday we were watching Judge Judy. (I wasn't watching, just heard this.) Judy asked the defendant, "Why didn't you call the police?"

The girl said, "I didn't have my cell phone. I didn't even have a bra on, when I went outside."

Judge Judy: "That's nonsense madam, even if a girl doesn't have a bra, she always has her cell phone."

I thought it was a good line.

Love ya, kiddo!

Meg said...

lmao! i feel your pain sista. i have the same withdrawals when i am without my phone. i'm sure we didnt help ourselves when we bought text friendly phones either. lol.